Monday, May 24, 2004

Incarnation Theology

I worry about the nature of the Christ. I have begun a fairly in-depth study of the Bible, tracing important themes throughout the "Old Testament" and into the life of Jesus of Nazareth, now considered by Christians to be both the predicted Messiah, the Christ, and also Divine (not necessarily one and the same thing, by the way). I haven't gotten far enough in my studies to come to any firm conclusions (as if there were any such thing in Theology), but I'm beginning to think the truth of Christ might be something terrible. I don't mean terrible in its current usage, but in the older "terror-inspiring" usage. It might be that Jesus was really the Christ, the incarnate and divine Creator of the Universe. It might be that God took on human form as the only way for an infinite being to communicate mutually with the finite. If that's the case, how did we fare? Did we understand God's intended message? Did we get it? And really, if humanity generally understood it, why do things still suck so badly? And if the message is popular Christianity, why are so few Christians I've met truly admirable?